Kashmir is a space which has been highly politicised throughout the course of history, especially since 1947. It has been viewed and analysed widely through a political lens. The cultural attributes have also been coloured in political stigma, which has created widespread negativity towards the overall aspect of the Kashmir issue. This study aims to study Kashmiriyat through the lens of culture and ordinary people of Kashmir and aims to analyse Article 370 through a cultural perspective and what place it holds in the broader discourse of Kashmiriyat.
Cite this article:
Aisha Nabi. The politics of kashmiriyat: A study of article 370. Int. J. Ad. Social Sciences. 2020; 8(2): 39-54. doi: 10.5958/2454-2679.2020.00006.7
1. Aditi Malik, S. M. (2019, August 14). Why Kashmir may see increased violence after the revocation of Article 370. Retrieved from https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/08/14/why-kashmir-may-see- increased-violence-after-revocation-article/
2. Agha, S. A. (2013). The country without a post office. New Delhi, India:
3. Ravi Dayal.Anderson, B. R. O. G. (2016). Imagined communities: reflections on the origin and spread of nationalism. London: Verso.
4. Arakotaram, K. (n.d.). The Rise of Kashmiriyat: People-Building in 20th Century Kashmir. Retrieved from http://www.columbia.edu/cu/cujsas/Volume I/Karan Arakotaram - Kashmiriyat.pdf
5. Article 35A: Why a special law on Kashmir is controversial. (2019, August 5). Retrieved from https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-40897522
6. Article 370: What happened with Kashmir and why it matters. (2019, August 6). Retrieved from https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-49234708
7. Atal Bihari Vajpayee's 'Insaniyat, Jamhuriyat, Kashmiriyat' is the foundation for peace in Kashmir. (2018, August 16). Retrieved from https://www.firstpost.com/india/atal-bihari-vajpayees-insaniyat-jamhuriyat- kashmiriyat-is-the-foundation-for-peace-in-kashmir-4976011.html
8. Book review: A rare, masterful glimpse into Indian statecraft. (2015, July 6). Retrieved from https://www.hindustantimes.com/books/book-review-a-rare-masterful-glimpse-into-indian-statecraft/story-VJ8tyyp0Dla0KJF4sUKTO.html
9. Bukhari, S. (2018, April 24). Kashmir and Kashmiriyat. Retrieved from https://frontline.thehindu.com/books/kashmir-amp-kashmiriyat/article7961856.ece
10. Centre for Policy Research. (2019, September 11). Retrieved from https://cprindia.org/news/8100
11. Chowdhary, R. (2001). Understanding Political Alienation in Kashmir. The Indian Journal of Political Science, 62(2), 159-178. Retrieved March 4, 2020, from www.jstor.org/stable/42753665
12. Chandrachud, A. (2019, August 21). The Spirit Of Article 370 . Retrieved from https://www.bloombergquint.com/opinion/the-spirit-of-article-370-by-abhinav-chandrachud
13. Contra Hindutva, Kashmiriyat: How consent works in a world of invented nations and fictional nationalisms. (2019, August 28). Retrieved from https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/blogs/toi-edit-page/contra-hindutva- kashmiriyat-how-consent-works-in-a-world-of-invented-nations-and-fictional- nationalisms/
14. Delhi Agreement, 1952. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://jklaw.nic.in/delhi1952agreemnet.pdf
15. Dulat, A. S. (2015). Kashmir: the Vajpayee years. Noida: HarperCollins.
16. Dutta, P. K. (2019, August 8). How Kashmir got Article 370: History retold. Retrieved from https://www.indiatoday.in/news-analysis/story/kashmir-situation-article-370-history-1578495-2019-08-08
17. Ganguly, S., Ray, A., Dueby, I., Osuri, G., and Department of Sociology. (2019, October 7). Article 370 News, Research and Analysis. Retrieved from https://theconversation.com/us/topics/article-370-74757
18. Instrument of accession of Jammu and Kashmir. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://jklaw.nic.in/instrument_of_accession_of_jammu_and_kashmir_state.pdf
19. Jamwal, S. S. (n.d.). Article 370 - Its genesis and reactions in JandK state. Proceedings of the Indian History Congress, Vol. 54 (1993), 467–471. Retrieved from https://www.jstor.org/stable/44143001?seq=5#metadata_info_tab_contents
20. Jagota, S. (1960). Development of constitutional relations between jammu and kashmir and india, 1950—'60. Journal of theIndian Law Institute, 2(4), 519-538. Retrieved March 4, 2020, from www.jstor.org/stable/43949608
21. Kashmiriyat: The Death of an Idea. (2019, September 11). Retrieved from http://www.historyworkshop.org.uk/kashmiriyat-the-death-of-an-idea/
22. Khan, S., Khan, S., Kumar, S., Kumar, S., Pandey, H., and Pandey, H. (2019, May 10). Article 370 And Dr. Ambedkar: A Fact-check. Retrieved from https://www.youthkiawaaz.com/2019/05/article-370-and-dr-ambedkar-a-factcheck/
23. Kumar, R. (2019). Paradise at war: a political history of Kashmir. New Delhi: Aleph Book Company.
24. Kumar, R., Ansari, M. M., and Padgaokar, D. (n.d.). A new compact with the people of Jammu and Kashmir. Retrieved from https://mha.gov.in/sites/default/files/JandK-InterlocatorsRpt-0512.pdf
25. Lone, F. N. (2018, April 30). Kashmir – The Tale of a Lost Nation. Retrieved from https://brill.com/view/book/9789004359994/BP000003.xml
26. Masoodi, N., and Jacob, J. (2020, January 15). Days After Supreme Court Order, Kashmir's Internet Blackout Far From Lifted. Retrieved from https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/jammu-and-kashmir-days-after-supreme-court- order-kashmirs-internet-blackout-far-from-lifted-2164661
27. Mukherjee, U. (2019, February 28). Right time to read Radha Kumar's book on Kashmir. Retrieved from https://www.telegraphindia.com/culture/books/right-time-to-read-radha-kumar-s-book-on-kashmir/cid/1685930
28. Noorani, A. G. A. M. (2015). Article 370: a constitutional history of Jammu and Kashmir. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
29. Peer, B. (2011). Curfewed night: a memoir of war in Kashmir. London: Harper Press.
30. Radha Kumar's book lauch reflects on the geopolitics of Kashmir - Times of India. (2018, November 5). Retrieved from https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/books/book-launches/radha-kumars-book-lauch-reflects-on-the-eopolitics-of-kashmir/articleshow/66512385.cms
31. Rahim, S. (2010, August 6). Curfewed Night: a Frontline Memoir of Life, Love and War in Kashmir: review. Retrieved from https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/bookreviews/7928862/Curfewed-Night- a-Frontline-Memoir-of-Life-Love-and-War-in-Kashmir-review.html
32. Rao, N. (2011). Social Scientist, 39(5/6), 87-90. Retrieved March 4, 2020, from www.jstor.org/stable/41289409
33. Sengupta, A. (2019, October 17). The complex history of Article 370. Retrieved from https://www.telegraphindia.com/opinion/the-complex-history-of-article-370-sardar-vallabhbhai-patel-and-kashmir/cid/1712373
34. Sirur, S., Bhardwaj, A., Prasso, S., and Pandey, N. (2020, February 16). Kashmiri student alleges OYO Room in Delhi didn't let him check-in because of his identity. Retrieved from https://theprint.in/india/kashmiri-student-alleges-oyo-room-in-delhi- didnt-let-him-check-in-because-of-his-identity/366275/
35. Tak, T. (2013). The Term "Kashmiriyat": Kashmiri Nationalism of the 1970s Author(s): TORU TAK. Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 48(No. 16), 28–32. Retrieved from https://www.jstor.org/stable/pdf/23527257.pdf?refreqid=excelsior:82314cc3cfae60a 1aa4b214472d0eb28
36. Teng, M. K., Bhatt, R. K. and Kaul, S. (1977). Kashmir Legal Documents. Light and Life Publishers.
37. Bhabha, H. K. The Location of Culture. (2004, October 1). Retrieved from https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/187943.The_Location_of_Culture
38. Untangling the Kashmir Conflict. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://thebookreviewindia.org/untangling-the-kashmir-conflict/
39. Wani, F. A. (n.d.). Formation of National Conference and its role in party system of Jammu and Kashmir. International Journal of Scientific Development and Research. 2(8) 153-156. http://www.ijsdr.org/papers/IJSDR1708023.pdf